Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Back to School Days: Sending My Child to College

This year, we crossed a milestone as my husband and I sent our first child to college.  We spent much of the past two years convincing him that college would be fun and one of the best experiences of his life.  For much of that time, he didn’t believe us.  Then, somewhere after his high school graduation ceremony we started to see him change his mind.  He didn’t discuss the change in his attitude with us.  We just saw it creep into his demeanor.  While we were glad he was going willingly and was even excited, it was still hard.

For some reason, he had to move to college on a weekday.  Luckily, none of our other kids had started school yet and my husband took off from school so we got to make it a family event.  A few weeks prior, my college-bound son had made remarks to my husband about what he could or could not fit in his car when he moved to school.  My husband looked him in the eye, put a hand on his shoulder and said, “You know we’re helping you move, right?”  My son was pleasantly surprised. 

On moving day, my son packed his own car.  He almost got it all in his own car, which seemed to be a point of pride with him.  To me, it was as if he was proving he didn’t really need us.  However, we had the mini-fridge in the mini-van.  Hah, son!  Can’t go to college without that! 

We made the 2-hour drive, found the dorm and started unpacking.  Somehow in raising my kids, I have convinced my kids I’m an idiot.  In many ways this is good.  They’ve never asked me to type papers, edit research projects or help with math past Algebra 1.  However, in some ways, it’s bad because they’re convinced if they don’t know something, then obviously I don’t know either.  Several times prior to moving day I had asked my son if he knew anything about the check-in process once he got to the dorm.  “Mom,” he said, “there’s no check-in process. I know my room number.  I just move in.”  WHAT??  They have a few hundred students living in this dorm and you don’t need to check-in, get a room-key, sign-in, nothing?  Again, my kids think I’m an idiot.  We began unpacking in the parking lot and took armloads of boxes and totes into the dorm, where, lo and behold, there was a check-in desk.  I laughed silently to myself.  Hopefully, in college he’ll realize that I’m not idiot after all. 

Moving his belongings went off without a hitch.  We stayed out of the way and out of the room because once my son, his roommate and all their belongings were unloaded, it was pretty crowded. 
After lunch, we walked around campus and took care of business such as getting a parking permit, picking up his books, getting him cash from the ATMs, and such.  How did I raise a kid to be 19 and not know how to use an ATM?  Oh yeah, he has no money.  I have to give him credit because only when he had a problem did he ask for our help.  I was surprised because, again, he thinks I’m an idiot. 

Once we were done, it was time to go.  Time to leave my baby.  As much as I’d worked to convince him to go to college, I couldn’t fathom him not living in my house.  Not saying good night when he came home from being out.  Not playing guitar or drums so loud I couldn’t hear myself think.  Just not being present.  I can barely remember my life before he was born.    


I reached and gave him a hug.  At that point, I couldn’t hold back the tears, but I tried to limit the number.  I didn’t want to cry but tearing up seemed okay.  I saw no tears in my son’s eyes, but he held our hug a little longer and harder than usual.  It was amazingly similar to when I dropped him off on his first day of kindergarten.  And, that turned out okay.  

No comments:

Post a Comment