Monday, July 22, 2013

Success in Business: Lessons I Learned from My Youngest Child

I didn’t know when I first began having children that I would learn more from them than they would from me.  I certainly didn’t expect to learn about success in business from watching my youngest child, but that’s what happened. 
               For awhile, I’ve been working at making freelance writing into a full-time career.  It’s a dream I’ve had since college.  I’ve always known how to write, but I needed to learn how to market myself to succeed.   There have been many days I’ve just wanted to give up and do something else.  Then, I thought the successes of my 11-year-old son.    
               This child is the youngest of four.   He is the classic youngest child.  He is funny, smart, loves attention, talks incessantly and everyone in the family adores him.  My husband and I also believe that he’ll probably become a millionaire at a young age but will continue to live at home for free, because, well, it’s free. 
               Since he was able to walk and talk, this child has been intrigued by money.  He would pick up coins he found and put them somewhere safe.  He’d watch transactions that involved money.  Quickly, he figured out that if he had something to sell, people would pay him money.  And off he went. 
               These are the lessons I’ve learned from him. 
               First Lesson:  Plan and Execute.   When he was 4, we were doing some large scale renovations to our house.  My son decided that old scrap pieces of sheetrock provided excellent material for large artwork.  He began gathering them up, painting pictures on them and created an art shop in the corner of the house.   To him, this was not a pretend shop.  Each piece of art had a price and family members were expected to purchase something for full price.    He succeeded and made the sale not just because he had a captive audience but because he had an idea, put together a plan and executed it.  At age 4. 
               Second Lesson: Have confidence:  A year or so later, my child was a little older and still finding ways to make money.   One day, he was bored and I gave him play-doh.   Instead of seeing it as a child’s toy, he saw an opportunity to make more money.   He began making play-doh sculptures.  Then, he got a box and a chair and went out to the cul-de-sac with his sculptures.   I almost wanted to cry for him.  He wanted to sell play-doh sculptures on a quiet cul-de-sac in the middle of a workday.   My son located the contractors who were doing work on a neighbor’s house and sold a couple of his sculptures to them.   My son never lacks confidence that he will succeed and make the sale.  As a result, he always does. 
               Third Lesson:  Just do it and don’t waiver.   The same weekend every year, our neighborhood has a garage sale.   It’s a great day to have a garage sale, especially if you’re like me and hate putting them together.  You don’t have to advertise, because the neighborhood has done it.   My son has frequently put out items he wanted to sell.  This year, at 11-years-old, he took it to a whole new level.  The night before, he found items he wanted to sell.   These were not just one dollar junk items.  Instead, he looked for higher dollar items and researched what they were selling for online and then developed his price points.   His garage sale was about quality not quantity.  The next morning, he was up early and working hard.   A few times, people would ask if he had specific items they were looking for.   If we had them, he’d sell them, with my permission, of course.  Before noon, he had sold almost every item he had put out.   He negotiated very little on prices.  It was his best money-making venture ever. 
               I’m sure I’ll continue to learn from my son.  My future success in business will largely be owed to him.    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment